Sunday, February 12, 2012

Making the private, public

There is so much mysticism surrounding exercising while pregnant. At least, that's what I've noticed. I ask doctors for their opinions and I get a range of responses, from "you shouldn't exercise at all" to "you should continue your regular exercise regime" to everything in between. When I talk to my athlete friends, I find they struggle with the same mixed messages. So, in an effort to share what works for me, how I'm feeling, and why I'm doing what I'm doing, I plan to document each day's exercising from here until the end of my pregnancy. This blog is not a prescription for what others should do and its certainly written without judgment toward those people who disagree with my methods. It's essentially just a training log made public.

For readers who don't know me, I've been a competitive runner since I was a kid and, barring a few seasons out due to injuries, have been racing on the track, roads, and trails until the last year or so. I believe my last race was a cross country meet back in August, 2011. I also dance, box, and occasionally hit Amory Park for some terribly played (but fun) pick up soccer.

Last October, when I became pregnant, I eased off my running considerably for a couple of months, driven by first trimester nerves. During that time, I only ran a few times a week and lifted maybe once a week. I dialed up my swimming to about 1-2 miles a day and loved my time in the pool. After I successfully got through the first trimester, I realized just how much I missed running and picked it back up again to almost pre-pregnancy vigor. Follow along here to learn about the challenges I face training with a being growing inside me, the excitement of having those great running days, even when it's a challenge to get out the door, and the role that exercise will have on my pregnancy from week 19 onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment